A few fun facts about our furry friends, for those interested and those wishing to scrub up ahead of any general knowledge quizzes!
*A dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 better than ours. They can even use this super sense to detect diseases such as cancers and diabetes.
* Dogs are the most widely abundant omnivore on the planet.
* Some dog breeds are banned in the UK because some people consider them too dangerous or because it is believed they are bred for dogfighting (although none of these things may actually be true). These are: Pit Bull Terrier types, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero
* There are seven different main breed groups in the UK: Gundog, Hound, Pastoral, Terrier, Toy, Utility and Working.
* There’s a reason your tot and your pup get along so well: they speak the same language. Or at least, they likely understand roughly the same number of words and gestures — 250!
* The average dog can run about 19 miles per hour at full speed!
* Dogs have twice as many ear muscles as people.
* A dog’s sense of hearing is more than 10 times more accurate than that of a person.