* 200g of caster sugar
* 200g of softened butter
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 200g self-raising flour
* 1 table spoon of baking powder
* 2 table spoons of milk
For The Filling:
* 100g of soften butter
* 140g of icing sugar, sifted
* Drop of vanilla extract (optional)
* Half a 340g jar good quality straw berry jam
* Icing sugar, to decorate the top of the cake (optional)
Steps on how to make the cake!!!
1. Heat the oven to 190/fan or 170/gas. Butter two 20 cm cake tins and then line with some non-stick baking paper.
2. In a large bowl beat 200g of caster sugar, 200g of soften butter, 4 eggs, 200g of self-raising flour, 1 table spoon of baking powder and 2 table spoons of milk together until you get a smooth, soft batter.
3. Divide the mixture between the 2 tins and smooth it over with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cake is nice and golden and springy when it is pressed.
5. Turn to a cooling rack and wait 20 minutes until you start to add the filling in.
6. To make the filling beat 100g of soften butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in 140g of icing sugar and (if you are using it) then drop in the vanilla extract.
7. Spread the butter cream onto one half of the cake and then top it up with 340g of strawberry jam.
8. The last thing is… ENJOY!!!!!